Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thursdays Monkey Butt


Good Thursday dear Dingleberries and welcome to this weeks Monkey Butt Thursday. I quite enjoyed this photo and when I decided I would actually post something about something this week this picture struck me as perfect! 

Bored and up late last night I decided to actually find something to share, so I relied on my dear friend Google to help me. 

Here's what I got and well it's not really relevant but it's pretty cool, pretty exciting if your vision sucks like mine does and you're terrified of one day going blind.   I hate the idea of testing on animals and honestly I wish there were another way, but I'm thankful for some of the things they've done.  Like MS medicine, among others I'm sure.  All of which my Mama Monkey Butt has probably taken ;)


Cornell Medical College has two researchers have figured out a mouses retina in order to attach a devise that has restored vision in the mice.  What the frak am I talking about? Wait for it, here it comes. .They're also saying they've "cracked the code for a MONKEY retina" as you can guess the monkey is closest thing to a human and they're excited to get something going to test on humans as well.

I know the blind aren't reading this and haven't read that post, but that's pretty exciting news right?  I think so. I wear glasses and contacts, not at the same time of course, but am always scared that it will get worse and worse and eventually I just won't be able to see. I don't think that is the same thing though.  Now that I give it a bit more thought. 

So they're hoping to find a way to make the blind people see, for some to see again. How very exciting indeed. I look forward to the day. Science never fails at surprising me. 

Hang in there!

source

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He really does look like he's enjoying himself huh?!!? I'm a bit jealous!

      Delete
  2. That's very cool news. Thankfully, I'm not very blind, and I've never needed glasses. But my uncle got Lasik and was one of the very unfortunate .1% who got an infection and lost his eye. No joke. So I just hope I never have to have any kind of vision correction surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stories like these that terrify me and make me definitely not want to get any lasik. The lady at work had it done MANY years ago and is fine. Guess there are always the unfortunate ones, very sad!!! :/

      Delete
  3. Hey, that look like me in the hot tub after I fart.
    Except better looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites from 'Austin Powers':
      "How dare you break wind before me?"
      "I'm sorry, baby, I didn't know it was your turn."

      Delete
    2. ha ha, I heart those Austin Powers movies! Which one is this from?

      Delete
  4. I'm sure this is a good thing and I'm all for cures and solutions to help people, but animal research makes me queasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and refuse to say it's OK to test everything on those poor animals. It's wrong, but of course I'm on the fence because they've really found some great meds by doing it. So torn!

      Delete
  5. That monkey sure looks relaxed, I'll have what he's having : )

    I wear glasses and still have problems reading. My eye problems can't be fixed with Lasik. I'm an organ donar, hopefully one day someone will be able to have my eyes, as bad as they are, to get their first gift of sight. Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My vision is crap at a distance, I never know what it's called. Near sighted? Far sighted? Confused much! I've not taken the step to become an organ donor, I don't know how I feel about it really.

      Delete
  6. Love that Monkey pic. Ever though about the Laser eye surgery for you? Some friends of mine have done it and have had some good results

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually my eye Dr tells me I need to get to a point where my vision stays the same. Every year it's worse by a .25 and as far as he says I wouldn't be the best candidate for that. I doubt I'd do it anyway. I'm one of those uninsured Americans (dumb I know) and just can't afford it! Such is life I guess! Plus I'd be terrified I'd go blind or like Beer For a Shower said lose my eye! :/

      Delete
  7. I know a few that have had that surgery and haven't heard any complaints, it just won't fix old! LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how long before they can fix old?! Without plastics that is ;)

      Delete
  8. It is amazing how medical advances are happening and solving problems we once thought would never be. I love to watch the show "The Doctors" that showcase lots of advances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu really are right, I thought to myself the other day. Ya know they are constantly working on "find the cure for cancer" or "find the cure for type 2 diabetes" I wonder if they will ever find a cure for anything. Hell we haven't found a cure for the common cold yet. Maybe one day!

      Delete

Dingleberry says: